Tuesday, November 22, 2011

It's About Kicking Ass- Damian Ross, The Self Defense Company

When you get down to it, there is only one real reason anyone gets into martial arts, to know how to kick someone's ass. Yep, I said it and I'll say it again, I don't care if you're a Shaolin Monk or Thelonious Monk, you got into martial arts because you wanted to know how to kick someone's ass. It's like the only real reason to go to a dance club is to hook up (don't trust anyone, gay or straight who says it's to dance, or the music). There's a reason why you stop going when you're attached, it's because you don't have to.

I know you probably give explanations for choosing your martial arts path to friends and family. I'm sure the reasons range from fitness to spiritual. Unfortunately that reasoning is pure and complete bullshit since there are dozens of other hobbies from yoga to triathlons, that will give you either or both of those benefits. Side note: Anyone uses the term "path" or "spiritual" in a sentence needs a swift boot to nuts.

The only reason ANYONE EVER signs up for a martial arts class is learn how to fight. Think about it, why "martial arts"? The only possible explanation is that you want to know how to physically impose your will over another human being. This doesn't make you a bad person, it just makes you human and aware that sometimes people misbehave and are in dire need of a smack down.

Don't give me that "reluctant warrior" crap, the "I don't like violence but if pushed I will..." save that speech for the dojo moms. I don't care who you are, when you put a bully in his place or fight to survive and win, there's a certain satisfaction that comes from that. I've been around all levels of martial artists, soldiers, cops and defensive tactics instructors and when you're among your peers you can't help but crack a smile when telling those stories. It's not a sadistic smile, it's more of a "glad I was the one who walked away" smile that's a combination of satisfaction and relief.

Then there's the people who have actually faced REAL assaults and attempted rapes. Do you think they want to spend time learning "alternative and peaceful solutions" for the next time? Guess again. Most of them- at least the ones that The Self Defense Company train, just want to know how to win the fight as fast as possible by whatever means necessary. I realize we hit a certain demographic and the "peaceful alternative" types don't exactly contact us, hmmmm. I wonder why that is?

Let's call a spade a spade (don't be racist), It doesn't matter if it's Muay Thai or Tae Bo, you get into martial arts to kick ass and take names. If you wanted to get fit and be spiritual you would go take pilates, yoga or some other activity that will get you in touch with your feminine side. If just wanted to get fit you could do a whole host of things to torture yourself on your time off. All of these endeavors come with the social element you claim from martial arts.

In the end, just spare me the rhetoric. There are very few things that are better than standing up for yourself and providing a good old "foot to ass" solution. I've competed in sports all my life from judo, jujitsu, football, baseball, tae kwon do, wrestling and the list goes on. When it came to martial arts, it was just another sport. It wasn't until I started training in the methods that lead to the SDTS that a light went off and I realized that THIS IS WHAT I GOT INTO MARTIAL ARTS FOR!!! No bullshit, just demolish that guy in front of you as quickly as possible. No forms, no stances, no bowing, no rules!!

This is the world we live in and when it comes to dealing with violence there is only one response that ALWAYS WORKS, it is swift, brutal and unforgiving. Live your life ethically, show forgiveness and compassion before and after you need to use violence. The people who say violence isn't the answer are scared, rightfully so. On the other hand it's the people who use violence as a means to ensure that those people can spout their non-violent, pacifistic theories. In the words of the late Richard Jenni "Violence may not solve anything, but it sure stops a lot of shit."

Example? How about World War II? I'm sure the people of Poland, France and all of the Jews, Gypsies and Homosexuals put in death camps might have a different opinion. I'm sure the good people of Afghanistan loved the Russian occupation or the Taliban rule. Sure, the jury is still out what's going on over there but one things for sure, nothing has blown up in the US since 9-11 and that was over a decade ago, say what you will but I know there are nations of people who would enjoy seeing scores of US and British citizens dead. And believe me, they are trying everyday. So (knock on wood) something IS WORKING!

It doesn't matter if it's global conflict or close combat, a good offense in the ONLY defense! Attack, attack, attack until they can't attack you. The only way to do that is to inflict more injury than your target can inflict on you. It's a simple, little equation.

I got into martial arts to know how to systematically kick someone's ass. There was a while there, yes, I may have sipped the kool-aide and believed my own bullshit. OK, maybe I didn't sip it, I got drunk and took a shower int it, but even I eventually woke up and smelled the pepper spray.

Train Honestly,


Damian Ross, CEO The Self Defense Company


Damian Ross is CEO of the Self Defense Company and developer of The Self Defense Training System, the most lethal and effective self defense system in the world, The Guardian Defensive Tactics Police Combatives Program, 60 minute Self Defense and the Family Safe Program. Mr. Ross also founded the Self Defense Instructor Program that helps people develop their self defense careers from the ground up. Mr. Ross is originally from Ridgewood, NJ where he was a High School Hall of Fame Athlete in football and wrestling as well as a varsity wrestling coach. He then went on to Lehigh University where he was a varsity wrestler and football player. Mr. Ross has 3 black belts, 4th Degree in Tekkenryu Jujutsu, 2nd Degree in Judo, 2nd Degree in Tae Kwon Do. In addition to his martial arts experience, Mr; Ross spent 8 years in the professional security and personal protection business. He is internationally recognized as one of the foremost authorities in reality based self defense.

7 comments:

Paul Crummell said...

I like your style and honesty. I just enrolled in your SDTS , having just received Module 1. I have Kenpo Karate experience, but I only learned enough to be dangerous and maybe, maybe, obtained A 50/50 chance of an altercation ending in my favor. Karate was too long, took too much time, and cost a lot of money. After reading your company's website....I enrolled. I want to get to the point of being 100% sure that I can defend myself and my family. My personal motto is "Commit to hit" in an altercation, no more pussyfooting around and taking a chance on getting hurt....as you say ...inflict much more damage than will be inflicted on me ...as quickly as possible
Bravo for your course...keep up the good work...
Paul Crummell....Ontario, Canada

Damian Ross said...

Thanks Paul, much appreciated and welcome to the SDC. You know, there are really two types of people, ones who accept the reality and ones who are still in denial. One instance that comes to mind is when we were bouncing in the 90's and a guy I worked with was an excellent martial artist who in the street didn't do a damn thing beyond a right cross and a shove. After seeing that my comment was "When do you teach that in class?" His response was "I don't". It should have been more like "I don't know how." We try to get to the essence of a fight, when it starts and the quickest way to end it. It always comes down to DISTANCE, MOMENTUM and BALANCE on module 1 combined with trying to hurt him as much and as fast as possible before he does the same to you. Anything less is inefficient and a dangerous waste of time.

mike said...

So,so true.

Unknown said...

Howdy, Damian!

Your short video about recognizing when to attack and when to walk away was right on the money! 30 years ago I went down the defending-your-actions-in-court road. It was very , very costly and consumed two years of my life. It didn't have to happen. The martial arts craze had swept the country, and after a few lessons, and watching lots of movies, my younger brother and I figured we were badasses--hell, we sparred almost every day! Four assholes from the neighborhood walked by us as we were working on my Jeep and started haranguing us. Instead of ignoring them, we happily took up the challenge. A fifth had joined them. We actually struck two of them, one tried to escape through a barbed wire fence and got cut up a little. The others backed up and talked really tough, but danced away when we came after them. They were never touched by either of us. We--my brother and I--were arrested and charged with five felony counts of assault and battery. I hated the expensive lawyer ("free" lawyers are worth every penny...) because he dragged this out for two years. Good thing he did. Two of the "victims" had gotten lucrative jobs across the state, and never showed, one had joined the Marines and was out of the country, one couldn't be found. One showed up to testify about his grievous bloody nose. Case dismissed. Luckily, there was no followup civil "damage" suit.

One more thing that was learned here: if someone says nasty things to you and you say nasty things back, and then a fight ensues, many judges will tell you you're equally responsible for whatever happened, because you inflamed your attacker into raising his hands to you just so you could beat him up (you evil bully)...

L.M. Urban

johnnyrodd said...

the one thing i have learned when and when not to fight in my eyes the person can say what ever they want words don't hurt or cause dmg if don't want them to.the momement they put their hands on me or act like they are going to try and hurt me i act.

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Damian Ross,

Let me compare your Self-Defense Training System (SDTS) with the medical science of homeopathy.

Homeopathy is the system that cures the sick and saves lives in the most complete, fast and gentle way. Your self-defense system is the most complete, simple, swift, brutal and unforgiving way of saving lives from the claws of human beasts.

Thank you very much for such an honest system.

Best regards,
Ismar

Travis said...

I like your style Damian. Ive done a lot of wrestling, jiu jitsu, muay thai, and even learned some krav maga with a military tourism group, LionOps, and from what youre saying, it sounds like your system is related closest to krav maga? from what ive known, the other martial arts are mostly used for sport