Monday, October 13, 2008

The Hall of Fame induction 2008

OK, I didn't expect it to be a real big deal...but it was. There were over 200 people from those being honored (athletes, coaches and sports writers). It was good to reconnect and remember those times. It also reminded me why I do what I do in the first place.

I was luck enough to be introduced by Brian Farrel, a local sports writer, who has been writing about local athletes for the past 30 years.

Below is copy of my speech.

Thank you Brian. Through your efforts and life's work with others like fellow inductee, Jim Jones you keep Ridgewood Athletics in the public eye.

I also want to thank Coach Yearing and the committee for putting this together. I feel the impact of the Hall of Fame will reach farther into the community than just Ridgewood Athletics.

I would also like to acknowledge all the coaces and volunteers who sacrifice so much for the love of the game. Being a former varsity coach, I know the full scope of your dedication. The positive influence you have on your athletes goes far beyond the gymnasium and the playing field. People like Jim Stroker, who used to open the weight room for us in Junior High at 6:00am. He lead showed us at an early age how to train with intensity and purpose. He also showed us how to be intense. So much in fact that during kick off he would be fully dressed, but by the end of the half he would be stripped down to a cotton t-shirt, it didn't matter if it was September or December.

I also want to acknowledge my friends and family for being on hand to celebrate the long days of preparation, sacrifice and of course...fun.

Finally my wife and my mom for providing the needed information to Coach Years.

Times like these are for reflection. 20 plus years later I don't think of the yards and the pins, I think of the relationships forged on the field and on the mat. I miss the friendships As I sat and watched my nephew Zack and his team mates hang out and do their best "coach imitations" I remembered most of what I missed about playing. Those friendships are still very much alive today, Officer James, Principal Gorman and Mr. Koppenal are from those days and they remain my closest friends are in attendance today.

I also think about my family. We were a sports and activities family. This is how we communicated to one another. We showed how we cared by hardly missing a game or a tournament. We showed our appreciation by making time to be there. That was the most important gift a kid could ever receive.

My Uncle Rich, who seemed to never miss a match or a game. MY brother who could be seen patrolling the sidelines in full camouflage or showing up at a random wrestling practice, its a wonder how he ever graduated college.

My sister, who found herself at a football game or a match when she wasn't on tour performing and my mom, keeping track of every article, every match, game and performance. Making sure we had everything we needed from peanut butter sandwiches to luck socks.

Finally there was my Dad. My first memory of him was in a maroon and white coach's jacket. The lessons I learned from him on veteran's field and in gym 3 went far beyond the fundamentals of sport.

Through Ridgewood athletics and his coaching I learned how to be fair, compassionate and humble (well 2 out of 3 ain't bad). I learned to keep fighting until the whistle blows, even though all seems lost.

Growing up I didn't really know what prejudice was, we were all equal on the field and we looked the same under a helmet anyway.

This October marks 3 years he has passed. Now I watch my children, nieces and nephews come into their own against the landscape of modern time, I can't tell you how critical our mission as parents and coaches is. The amateur sports arena is the last and sometimes only place they learn about hard work, fair play and camaraderie. I hope that 50 years from now, they still hold these same values in high regard.

Because at the end of the day its not about how great you were on the field, its about how great you were to your family, friends, team mates mad opponents. Thank you for allowing me to becomes part of the Hall of Fame Family.

You can visit the hall of fame here:

No comments: