Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A Proud Parent's Story

Yesterday I was on the playground watching my daughter (6) play with a couple of her friends. The play started to get a little rough, but none the less, she was still laughing and having a good time.

But then it started to turn (just a little bit) to the point right before she started to get upset. I could see the uneasiness in her face. As one of the boys began to get more physical she simply tripped him to the ground with osotogari (big outer reap)and immediately pinned him. He tried to fight back, but to no avail. After the proverbial "uncle" he was let up and they both went their separate ways: NO HARM NO FOUL. A teacher standing behind me commented "Good for her, he was asking for it."

It was at that moment I realized that my daughter is developing skills and confidence to operate outside our home. She came away from a potentialy stressful situation completely unaffected. I also realized that if I was teaching her karate or jujutsu, it might be a different story. Through her Judo training she was comfortable to put the kid in his place successfully without striking or doing anything else that might be considered inappropriate. Plus, I know she didn't want to hurt him, she doesn't want to hurt anybody (with the exception of her little brother).

Walking away she said, "Did you see me do Judo?"

"Of course," I said, "that was awesome. If anyone ever starts playing rough and you don't like it, you do that again."

Empowerment. My daughter has options.

No comments: