Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Fight Better Drunk

I just got on this on Face Book from a member of the SDTS Legion,

"Thank you Damian. I got robbed last night. I was pretty drunk after watching the fights, and two guys who knew it figured I'd be an easy target. Even stupid drunk, I remembered to keep my lead foot lined up between the feet of the attacker, hit him in the neck and head with the edge of hand blow until he fell down (From Module 1 of the SDTS), and then tried kicking the shit out of him. Then his buddy jumped on my back and choked me. They both pinned me down and took my money. Yeah in the end I lost my money, but I kept my pride. I was beating the fuck out of the one guy. Too bad I was too intoxicated to plan for the second guy." Corey, Canada

First, I'm glad you're OK and live to tell the tale. Second, I'm insanely happy you were able to leave your mark on these guys and stand up for yourself. You did what you had to do at the time with the information given to you and for that, you're awesome. So the other guy cleaned you're clock and you lost some $$$, you're story brings up a fantastic point. What happens if you're attacked while drunk?

The short answer is: if you plan to get drunk you have 3 options:
1. Don't drink
2. Don't be alone when you're drunk in public
3. Learn to fight better drunk

You were and I'll use your words "stupid drunk." I have no doubt than any less drunk you would have remembered SDTS Cardinal Rule Number #5 but you were wasted. I know we envision most confrontations happening behind enemy lines fighting for truth, justice and the "Canadian" way. But that is simply not the case. Most fights happen when a little (or a hell of a lot)of alcohol is involved.

If you walk away with anything from Corey's story it's first, his attackers figured him an easy mark since he was loaded (See SDTS Cardinal Rule #2)and second, he still could successfully pull off the tactics he learned in Module 1. Even when he was blotto, our hero knew he was being set up and more importantly, defended himself while "stupid drunk."

I'll be the first to say that I do take the occasional drink and have had the experience to engage in use of force situations when my judgment and or ability to stand have been seriously impaired. Guilty as charged. But this is the world we live in and these are the lifestyles we lead. All it takes is one night out and one drink too many to make you vulnerable. Heck, it doesn't even have to be booze, you could just be tired, injured or just plain old....OLD. If you look like an easy mark you're going to be taken.

Think about this and seriously reflect on your lifestyle. When I use the sign off "Train Honestly" this is part of what I mean. e honest with yourself. We all have the image of who we want or think we should be, then there's the reality of who we are. We all want to be the person who brushes and flosses twice a day, but we are all the person who forgets to even rinse with mouthwash until we're halfway out the door. We all want to buy clothes for the thin, 15 pounds lighter you, not the right now you. Whether or not you think your tactics will work when you're sober, do you think you could pull them off drunk or even buzzed? Let's take booze out the equation, could you execute your defensive tactics if you were tired or injured?

Be realistic, be honest, if you're doing something that requires a tremendous amount of skill, concentration, strength and endurance and you enjoy a lifestyle that includes the occasional cocktail, then I urge you to re-evaluate your method of self defense. I'm not saying stop your current training, but look at it from a REAL LIFE defensive tactics perspective not from the perspective of the person you want to be or the image you want to project.

Defensive Tactics should fit your lifestyle. Other than the time dedicated to training, both physical and mental, you should be able to enjoy the things you enjoy. I'm not condoning alcoholism, though if you spent some time with my family you may consider "self medicating" a viable option. I'm talking about being able to go out with some friends, have a few drinks and loosen up. Heck, Corey was "stupid drunk" and he managed to knock a guy out. Imagine if he wasn't drunk!!

Train Smarter, Not Harder,
Damian Ross, CEO The Self Defense Company









Connect with Mr. Ross of Face Book

Damian Ross is CEO of the Self Defense Company and developer of The Self Defense Training System, the most lethal and effective self defense system in the world, The Guardian Defensive Tactics Police Combatives Program, 60 minute Self Defense and the Family Safe Program. Mr. Ross also founded the Self Defense Instructor Program that helps people develop their self defense business from the ground up. Mr. Ross is originally from Ridgewood, NJ where he was a High School Hall of Fame Athlete in football and wrestling as well as a varsity wrestling coach. He then went on to Lehigh University where he was a varsity wrestler and football player. Mr. Ross has 3 black belts, 4th Degree in Tekkenryu Jujutsu, 2nd Degree in Judo, 2nd Degree in Tae Kwon Do. In addition to his martial arts experience, Mr; Ross spent 8 years in the professional security and personal protection business. He is internationally recognized as one of the foremost authorities in reality based self defense.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it nice to know that even when you are impaired, your gross motor skills are what remain functional.