Monday, October 3, 2011

There is no Santa


This story was told to me by the late Carl Cestari who had asked our Judo instructor Yonezuka sensei to "perform" at a celebration of martial arts on Long Island, New York. It was called something like "1000 years of jujitsu". Yonezuka or "Yone" at the time was well into his 50's and still training hard (you should note that in his 70's he's still going strong). You should also know that Yone's skills in Judo, Karate and Sumo are incredible and his exploits are well known in the fight game in the 70's and 80's.

After some convincing, Carl takes Yonezuka to this demonstration in a high school gymnasium. The place is packed with people and as you would guess there's Aikido and Aikijujutsu demonstrations. People were getting tossed about by their finger tips and wincing in pain as they were being manipulated by their black belt instructors. It looks like a Steven Segal convention. While the scene is unfolding, Carl is watching Yonezuka grow a little agitated and impatient, as if he was thinking "you dragged me all the way out here for this?!?!"

Finally it's Yone's turn to speak. He get's on the microphone and in front of a packed auditorium he says "Martial arts is hard work, no magic! If anyone wants to come down and fight me, come on the mat." Yep, he basically challenged every one in the audience to a fight. There was some murmuring then finally, out of the audience of masters six people emerged to try their luck with the crazy Japanese guy. After the sixth one was tossed on his head, Yonezuka proceeded to do some instruction as promised.

Which brings me to my point, I've received comments from some well meaning people who have dedicated a large portion of their spare time to methods like Aikijujutsu, Aikido, kung fu and other endeavors we call "cultural fighting arts". These methods usually involve some or all of the following: complicated maneuvers, outdated weaponry, stances, joint locks, unrealistic throws and esoteric explanations. I can't really name specific arts simply because there are too many to list. Before I continue, let me point out that if you want to pursue these endeavors, great, but I would classify them as I would yoga, pilates, and other physical activities that include a cultural, spiritual and or social component. The one thing they definitely are not is self defense, nor do they ever lead to self defense.

There is not a point somewhere in the foreseeable future where you will be proficient enough at a cultural fighting art to perform it consistently in the real world against a determined and capable attacker. If you really want to use martial arts in a real fight you're far better off doing MMA, BBJ, Judo, Wrestling, Boxing, Kyokoshin Karate, Olympic Tae Kwon Do, Muy Thai or any other combat sport that requires you to use your skill against another person who's trying to do the same in a knock out, tap out environment (sorry, point fighting doesn't count, you need the potential of getting injured, I call this the "punched in the face, choked, twisted or slammed" factor).

Listen, I have a huge amount of respect for the Kendoka who practices thousands of cuts a day or the Aikidoka who subjects himself to thousands of break-falls. Anyone who sacrifices and subjects themselves to that type of torture is going to be a tough individual regardless. I also respect the marathon runner, power lifter and triathlete. Sure their expertise is not combative in nature, but it still requires an iron will of sorts. You can never discount the person who is willing to sacrifice comfort for pain.

But if self defense is your focus than cultural fighting arts are about as applicable as preparing for a civil war reenactment. From a defensive tactics perspective they're completely inefficient and a huge waste of time and you will never, ever acquire the skill you imagine you will.

Instead, you're best bet training in a self defense specific method, and focus on increasing your strength and endurance. Because in the end, there is no Santa, there will not come a day where you will be able to twirl around attackers like you do your dojo mates. Unless of course you're fighting the elderly or school children.

Make no mistake, I don't condemn or attack people seeking personal improvement, cultural exploration and a sense of community through cultural fighting arts. I have enjoyed my study of those arts and I know they have their benefits. The issue is with people who think that those practices are or will eventually lead to effective self defense.

I don't expect people who have spent years training in these types of arts to open their eyes, throw on an Self Defense Company shirt and start chin jabbing. Not yet anyway...but eventually you will. Because there are two types of people at the SDC: Those who just want self defense and those who have been through the martial arts experience and know the difference between martial arts and self defense.

When I started training in martial arts at 16 I had read the comic books and watch Kung Fu on TV. I wanted to be able to have superhuman strength, speed and power. Years later I discovered those people do exist, they're in the NFL.











In the end, it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.
Train Honestly,


Damian Ross, CEO The Self Defense Company


Damian Ross is CEO of the Self Defense Company and developer of The Self Defense Training System, the most lethal and effective self defense system in the world, The Guardian Defensive Tactics Police Combatives Program, 60 minute Self Defense and the Family Safe Program. Mr. Ross also founded the Self Defense Instructor Program that helps people develop their self defense careers from the ground up. Mr. Ross is originally from Ridgewood, NJ where he was a High School Hall of Fame Athlete in football and wrestling as well as a varsity wrestling coach. He then went on to Lehigh University where he was a varsity wrestler and football player. Mr. Ross has 3 black belts, 4th Degree in Tekkenryu Jujutsu, 2nd Degree in Judo, 2nd Degree in Tae Kwon Do. In addition to his martial arts experience, Mr; Ross spent 8 years in the professional security and personal protection business. He is internationally recognized as one of the foremost authorities in reality based self defense.

9 comments:

Paul Daly said...

Saying that no one who studys aikijujitsu or aikido is capable of self defense is just as wrong as saying that everyone with a bjj blackbelt can defend himself.

It not the art, it is the artist. If you train correctly, you will be able to use the art for self defense and the other benefits.

I've got several guys I train with who do security, corrections or police work who will tell you that yes, aikido can provide viable self defense. I'm sure it takes longer than some other arts, and there are probably more aikidoists who can't do self defense than many other arts, but let's not over generalize.

Paul Daly said...

Sorry, can't agree.

There are plenty of people who train in aikijujitsu and aikido who have studied these arts in such a way that they are well equipped for self defense.

Are there plenty more who couldn't fight there way out of a paper bag -- sure. But you can say that about pretty much any martial art.

I train in aikido with people who work in security, corrections and law enforcement. They use their training in the real world. They train that way -- others may not, but they do.

Levi Wampler said...

Great post. I remember when I attended my first JKD class many years ago. I had already been training in Wing Chun Kung Fu for a few years at that point and thought I would have no problem when it came time to spar, I was very wrong. I couldn't make any of my trapping work on those guys because they weren't fighting like me. In our Wing Chun Class we practiced to fight other Wing Chun fighters, not people who were just fighters. It is a big difference when you move from more traditional arts to arts that require more "all out" sparring.

Paul Daly said...

No one studying aikijujitsu or aikido will ever be able to defend himself in a real world defense situation?

Sorry, that's just a gross over statement.

I'll agree that many people don't train in these arts in a realistic manner.

And I'll agree that a program like Damian's is more efficient and quick.

But I know a good number of aikido-ka who have and routinely do use their training in real world defense situations.

Paul Daly said...

No one studying aikijujitsu or aikido will ever be able to defend himself in a real world defense situation?

Sorry, that's just a gross over statement.

I'll agree that many people don't train in these arts in a realistic manner.

And I'll agree that a program like Damian's is more efficient and quick.

But I know a good number of aikido-ka who have and routinely do use their training in real world defense situations.

Damian Ross said...

Sure, there are people who happen to study martial arts and are in law enforcement, security, etc. But that doesn't mean that what they are doing in the field is exactly what they do in the dojo.
1. They may put forth some of the principles of what they are studying, but the techniques would probably look more like wrestling or judo than Aikido.
2. People who train in an art AND are able to defend themselves, are a lot of times mutually exclusive. Meaning the art has little or no effect on the individual's ability to protect himself.
4. Paul, let's not talk about other people, let's talk about you. And you don't have to answer this, but with what you know now, do you feel 100% that you would be able to defend yourself against your worst nightmare using your Aikido?
5. Also, you're not really reading this correctly and you're making assumptions that I did not write. I said you would be better off doing BJJ than you would Aikido. I did not say that everyone doing BJJ can defend themselves.
6. Tactically, their Aikijujutsu has little to do with their ability to defend themselves. I'm sure in some round about way they have credited their training, but when they reflect against what really happened, I'm sure their training played more of a conceptual role than anything else.

Paul, at the end of the day it comes down to what you can do. If you feel that you're training will prepare you against your worst nightmare, than good luck and God bless.

Damian Ross said...

Paul,
I wrote in the post that I didn't expect someone like you to see the forest from the trees. You have too much invested. If I'm right, then what you've been told is wrong.

While you may know people who perform textbook Aikido, it really doesn't matter what they can do, it's what you can do.

Aikido has had it's time. It's been around for 70 years and it had it's chance to become the "self defense" it's supposed to be and it's not. It peaked with Stephen Segal. You have to look at the system over time and how it relates to self defense. The long and the short of it is, Aikido is an art of principles, not applications. If it were, people would have been doing it more often and all over the world.

Like I said, I have respect for anyone who dedicates their life to their art. But tactically I could teach you something in a few minutes that would benefit you immediately compared to the years it would take in Aikido.

The argument that it takes decades is ridiculous even if it were true. I know there are great Aikidoka who look amazing and are incredible when training with...other Aikidoka. But against other methods or more to the point...a white belt, it just doesn't look that great. Good ukes make great demo partners.

Paul Daly said...

No doubt that someone trained in Aikido is not going to use a dojo technique in a street fight!
That is absolutely not the point of the dojo training. And my training partners who are in law enforcement etc. will be the first to tell you that.
So what is the point? The training teaches you how to position and your body so you're protected and the other person is vulnerable, how to exploit the openings in the other person's attack, etc.
As for me, I am far more confident in my ability to defend myself than I was before I started training and more confident with every class.
I can't say I'm 100% confident because until you've actually been in a few street fights, under any system, you don't know how you'll respond.
I don't mind that the process is relatively slow, because I enjoy the process and it provides plenty of other benefits.
Greatly enjoy communicating with you. You should know I have the absolute highest regard for your abilities. I have ever since I had to wrestle you in the 5th grade!!!! (You probably don't remember that -- do you?)

Pierre Saikaley said...

I also studied Aikdo-Yoseikan Aikido, and in three years I got an orange belt and no practical self defense.

One night in training, my sensei stated "This is not self defense it's FORMS". All that time I thought Aikido was giving me moves i could take on the street but I got into a confrontation with a guy bigger than me and i froze. My aikido did NOTHING for me(self defense wise), although I justified it's usefulness in my mind a dozen ways.

I have long quit Aikido, and I took up Krav Maga. Big difference.

Also, I want to relate that my Aikido sensei allegedly was challenged in his dojo. He put down the opponent using a JUDO technique not Aikido.

Just sayin'.

All the best to you, Damian.