Thursday, March 11, 2010

The two Big Lies Martial Artists Like to Tell

Martial Artist's Big Lie #1. I train 7 days a week, 8 hours a day for 25 years

Sure you do and I suppose those are magic beans as well?

When it comes to training, no one can lie like a martial artist. If they did it once, they did it all the time if they did it twice, they did it forever. If they trained once in January 2000 and again in 2005...that's 5 years of training! Listen, here's the truth about training: you can only do it in intense spurts for so long because your body and your mind can't endure prolonged intensive training. Let's take a step outside the wonderful world of martial arts and look at professional and elite athletes.

Athletes target their training for a competition or season. There is an off season, a preseason and an in season. An athlete wants to be a peak physical an mental condition at the time of competition. An athlete also wants to recover before preparing for the next event. Elite athletes, including college competition, have about 8 years. After that time your body will break down. The infamous Dan Gable Olympic Champ wrestler and former Iowa Hawkeye head coach stopped at the age of 23 because his body couldn't take the punishment of training. Now in his seventies he is held together by fake joints.

When someone tells me they train full contact or high intensity for a few hours a day seven days a week, I have to call bullshit. Either we have different definitions of full contact or your lying. Any work out of high intensity will tear you up over extended period of time. To tell you the truth, when I was putting myself through those types of work outs, the last thing I want to do is to post about it on the net. I did everything I could to forget them. It's only now that I can look back at them with the "those were the good old days" attitude. But I'm not going to lie, the only good part about training was when it was over.

Martial Artist's Big Lie#2. You must always train and practice

For the rest of your life? Doesn't there come a time where you've acquired enough skill. Hey, maybe you're not Bruce Lee yet, but maybe you don't want to be Bruce Lee, maybe you just want to be Brandon Lee. Ask a martial arts instructor if you need to keep training, the answer will always be YES (never ask a barber if you need a haircut either). But let me ask you, how is it that boxers still have a punch in their 60s and baseball players can still throw and catch. Not as good as when they were young, but it's still better than the majority of the population. The reason is simple: core motor skills like throwing or kicking a ball and swinging a bat or a club will stay with you for the rest of your life. The more simple the action, the less muscle memory needs to be created. Simple movements stay, complex movements deteriorate.

I know I can go out right now and kick a ball half way across a football field and I haven't done it in years. I also know that I can knock a dude's head clean off with an edge of hand and I do not practice everyday. Heck it's been months since I actually practiced an edge of hand! Simple movements become instinctive, complex movements do not.

Techniques in the Self Defense Training System like the edge of hand, chin jab, hammer fist, elbows, knees and stomps are all core strength and gross motor movements. I won't be able to do a jump spinning kick when I'm 60, but I will be able to knock someone out with a chin jab.

The fact is, you don't need 1/8 as much as training as you think you need so feel free to call BULLSHIT on the next keyboard ninja who blogs about how many years he's done something or another. Believe me when I tell you, the guys who actually go through that type of training are in no mood to talk about it.

Damian Ross
The Self Defense Company
The Self Defense Training System

6 comments:

johnny.g/pro1 said...

nice article big guy,

based on scientific fact and no B.S., as well as good observation.

However,while I do not train like I did early in my career- I still both train and condition 6 days a week;

Not to say my intensity is high. It is not except maybe once a week and by no means is my recovery time anything like it was in the 'old days.'

Muscle memory is muscle memory,but we still need to keep it sharpe and ready to go.

But this is a small point, nice job...

Damian Ross said...

Here's the thing, if you are doing it, you don't really feel like bragging about it.

Training as part of your lifestyle, not for a competition or and event has been the hardest for me to adapt to. It's easy when you have a specific goal motivating you. But when it's a daily grind, you have to accept that some days you're not going to get much done. while others you totally blast away.
Like life, some days you're the hammer, other days you're the nail...

Tony Hubble said...

Excellent! I do teach 6 days a week so on some level I do train those 6 days. I agree that the intensity is waaaay less than when I trained as a student/competitor.

Tony Hubble said...

Since I joined the SDTS I've added more of my own personal training, but I dont go all out on BOB more than twice a week. I'm going on 50 and the punishment of my younger days is catching up with me! The good news is, as Sensei Ross constantly says, the movements are instinctive, gross motor movements that I can still do. Plus it's just fun! I feel like a new martial artist again!

Anonymous said...

So true. In 1974, I trained in class 4 hours a week and a little on my own time. Now at 70, I'm in my "old foggies" class 3 hours and kid's class 2 hours. Three times a week I attack the big bag (10 strikes of everything I use: tsuke, inside and outside knife hands, palm heels,back knuckles, front and back hand slaps,elbows,forearms, knees, and even shoulders). Ok so my head kicks are only kidney high and my chin kick is only to the solar plexus. The bag makes a loud crack when the old 70 year old strikes it bear handed that the boxers all turn around to see what is going on.
Your right gross muscle memory stay with you even if you miss a few practices or even a few years.

Gerry Nolan said...

Excellent post! Just the other day I was trying to put into words & verbalize the same concept as you explain in this post.

My kickboxing teacher back in Ireland who was one of first karate black belts in Ireland in 1960s and later introduced in late 1970s Full Contact Karate (Kick Boxing) into Ireland and trained several world champs, & co founder of Mugendo Kickboxing is now aged easily 72 - 75 years old and he can still do the FULL BOX SPLITS and YES will Spar, which he usually ends by sending opponent 6 feet into mid air with a powerful Foot Sweep (to come crashing down on hard floor) check out photo on
www.worldmugendouniversity.com to see splits he was about 68 then.

Over the years while "on Season" sparring (us his students) was often black eyes & bloody noses. Much was consistent "gentlemanly" sparring, "take it easy, hit with skill & balance, any idiot can hit full power he'd say" Now me at 38 years old getting a bit pissed off my head high roundhouse kick is a bit harder to do, I can see his wisdom,and how he can do FULL BOX SPLITS and Kick High in his 70s...
"TAKE IT EASY - STOP TRAINING LIKE A BULL IN A CHINA SHOP" he d roar....

Great Stuff this blog.
Gerry
http://kravmagapattaya.com/
facebook.com/gerrypnolan

(I am very Visual in communication, putting things i see in my "minds eye" into words can be a challange LOL! as Tony Robbins says)