Sunday, May 23, 2010

If You're Comfortable, You're Not Learning

If you feel comfortable, you're not learning. Comfort is not to be confused with "natural". Comfortable is that awkward, hyper-self aware feeling you get when you're doing something for the first time...you do remember your first time :)?

Learning leads to growth. Growth leads to advancement and evolution. The only way to really learn and grow is to get outside your comfort zone, try and fail.

Failure leads to success. The more failures you have, the greater your successes will be. Most people quit well before they start to see real success. That is why they are most people. Most people think that being uncomfortable and failing is a result of their ineptitude. They think poor performance is due to their lack of natural talent.

Lack of skill is not lack of talent. Skill is modified behavior. This takes time. The more simple the movement or the concept, the easier it is to modify your behavior. The more complicated and convoluted the longer the behavior takes to master. Pretty straight forward concept.

Learning and growing is the key. It leads to self discovery, self improvement and enriches the lives of the people around you. It keeps you young by reminding you of a time when you didn't know all the answers.

When you stay in your comfort zone your world gets smaller and smaller and gradually shrinks. This is what happens to most people. They hit a point where they work, they live, they basically just exist. Then they reach their 40's and 50's and lose their minds. They become depressed, question their purpose in life and wonder is this as good as it's going to get? They blame their jobs, their spouses and their kids. The count all the missed opportunities and all that they sacrificed so that they could provide a life for their families. The wrap themselves up in self pity and point a finger at the outside world when in reality, they only have themselves to blame.

At the end of the day YOU are the problem. YOU make the choices because YOU decided to play it safe. It's YOUR FAULT. Not your spouse, not your kids, not your job. Regular people make excuses, exceptional people take action. Taking action requires you to step outside your comfort zone. It could be small at first, making a suggestion at work, taking a pottery class- whatever it is, start small and take bigger steps.

Teaching people to protect themselves is not just about learning to kick ass. In fact, that's the easy part. It's a tool to enable people to have more confidence, more self reliance and more self worth. It helps people overcome their fear of the unknown. It's a major step in the right direction.

Today is the day. Do something you would normally say NO to. Do something a little impulsive. STOP sitting on your ass, get out of your comfort zone and SEIZE THE DAY BY THE CAJONES!!!!

Yep, it's Sunday Morning and I'm already full of piss and vinegar.

Damian Ross
The Most Lethal Self Defense Program in the World
The Self Defense Company
The Self Defense Training System
Martial Arts
Self Defense

2 comments:

truthseeker9878 said...

This is true. Accomplishing something makes you feel better. I had traveled all over the USA and even been to Europe a few times, but didn't stay as long as I wanted. When my wife left in 1993 I knew we were finished, but I didn't take my freedom and move to where I wanted. Then after 8 months she came back, but I didn't even want her back. When I was a young kid I did a lot of things like fishing, crabbing, turtling, and trapping. Then when I got older I didn't do things that I wanted. I remember in 1996 I bought my first vehicle and I knew it made me feel good. Then it wasn't until 1999 I bought a $200 watch and how I felt good about this and I was proud of this watch. What a sorry bastard to only have done two things for myself. I threw away $100,000 going places and still drove around in the same vehicle for 16 years. Life is so easy if you use your brain. It's a bastard if you just suck air and don't do what you want and let others lead you around like a puppy. You must first make yourself happy and your family, before you even think about doing for others. One thing that I let control me was I was losing my hair at a young age. I let this dictate what I did. I never could understand how the fat, ugly, bald bastards were so happy. When looking at their faces caused so many others misery.

Anonymous said...

If I had it to do over again. I would hunt and fish and ski and travel. I would at least have fun. Even if it meant having nothing. There's nothing worse than being poor and never had any fun and let others control your life. One thing I have learned. You should go somewhere every weekend and do smething. You should have a hobby. You should have sex at least once a week. It's a shame when you think all you have done the past 20 eyars is suck air, worked and watched TV.