Friday, August 26, 2011

Get your "Bug Out Bag"


Tomorrow the Northeast is going to get hit with the worst storm in 50 years. The good sense in me tells me that the emergency response people will do an outstanding job and no matter what happens, things will return to normal. But the survivalist in me won't let me go without some type of preparation.

People panic. Yesterday on Long Beach Island, NJ I watch people ransack the grocery stores, gas stations and banks. While all of this is good, it was the panic and manner in which they did this. Understand that our determination to survive turns us into extremely selfish people. Desperate people will stop at nothing, no matter who gets hurt. In a pinch if you have something that they think will enable them to survive, they will take it with little or no regard for you and your family. I wish it were different, but that's just the way it is.

Your house should be stocked and prepared accordingly, but it's good to have something prepared in case you need to exit your home in a hurry. Now in this case I'm not thinking about Armageddon. I'm really more concerned with power outage for 2 to 5 days in the New York City area. I'm going to be concerned with food, water, shelter and transportation to an area that has power if need be. I'm also very concerned about looters and home invasion. Areas without power have no way to contact the police. Plus the police and national guard will have their hands full. In my "Bug Out Bag" I have a few things that are broken down into a few categories:

Protection
Intelligence/Communication
Utility
Sustenance
Currency
Clothing
Transportation

Prepare for the mission.

I know I'm not going to be in the arctic or away for several weeks, so it's good to be realistic about the situation. There is no need to pack a tent when I can drive a few hours to a place that has power, water and a four star hotel.

Protection:
Everything must be concealable. no sense to alarm anyone in this case since this is not the end of the world. I want to be able to move about without drawing attention to myself.
Concealable firearm
Concealable edged weapons
Assorted small impact weapons
Assorted concealable weapons
Heavy Duty door stop*
*The door stop is extremely important and I take one were ever I go. It is the best way to make sure a door stays shut. Wedge one of those suckers into the base of a door and it is going to be very difficult to open without a battering ram. This way if someone even had the key to your hotel room, they're not getting it.


Intelligence/Communication
Computer and back up hard drives with solar recharger
Cellular antenna
Radio or Radio App on phone
Solar charger for phone
NOTE: They do have multimedia solar chargers
Identification/passport

Utility
Lighters
Hammer
Flashlight/lanterns
Tooth Brush/toiletries
First Aide Kit

Sustenance
Power bars/ granola bars
No need to go crazy here since we can get out of the affected area relatively quickly.

Currency
Credit Cards
Cash (small bills- some people might not be able to make change)
Jewelry (if you don't have a safe deposit box, better take the stuff someone may want to take)

Remember, if you're forced to leave your home, leave little for the looters. All hard drives and valuable should go with you.

Clothing

When you dress like a commando people either think you're nuts or won't take you seriously. You want to dress comfortably and tactically in clothes that enable you to conceal, move and blend. Try to dress a little younger, but in nondescript clothes. Khaki pants will enable you to move, sweat and conceal while BDU's will be a call out. Combat boots are ok, but running shoes are better. You will be able to move and stay on your feet a long time but not draw attention to yourself. Black sweatshirt hoodie is great because it can provide concealment. Try to resist putting on the Ed Hardy...just because you shouldn't...ever.

Transportation

Gassed up and packed. You should own a 4X4. You should have this thing in good running order and you should have a few extra gallons of gas. Besides milk, bread, water, batteries and eggs, gas is the number one item to run out. So give yourself a every advantage by getting topped of and having a little extra just in case.

I'm a realist and if a little extra effort gives me a little bit of sanity, so be it. Plus, when you put these things together and prepare, your mind becomes prepared and you have a plan.

Do I think the masses will come down my street looking to steal my canned goods, NO. But do I think we may be out of power for several days YES. Do I think people may take advantage of the power outage...HELL YES. Do I think I may be in a situation where I will need to operate at a different location? YES. Do I feel that in my absence my house will get burglarized by people who know my home is without an alarm and unoccupied? Definitely.

I know there are a whole host of generators and crank radios that I can be talking about here, but we don't need to do that for this situation. Believe me, the first sign of Armageddon I will be bolting a 50 cal to the back of my jeep and me, my family and my "BIG Bug out bag" will be heading for the hills.

Train Honestly,
Damian Ross, CEO The Self Defense Company


Damian Ross is CEO of the Self Defense Company and developer of The Self Defense Training System, the most lethal and effective self defense system in the world, The Guardian Defensive Tactics Police Combatives Program, 60 minute Self Defense and the Family Safe Program. Mr. Ross also founded the Self Defense Instructor Program that helps people develop their self defense careers from the ground up. Mr. Ross is originally from Ridgewood, NJ where he was a High School Hall of Fame Athlete in football and wrestling as well as a varsity wrestling coach. He then went on to Lehigh University where he was a varsity wrestler and football player. Mr. Ross has 3 black belts, 4th Degree in Tekkenryu Jujutsu, 2nd Degree in Judo, 2nd Degree in Tae Kwon Do. In addition to his martial arts experience, Mr; Ross spent 8 years in the professional security and personal protection business. He is internationally recognized as one of the foremost authorities in reality based self defense.




4 comments:

Patrick, Australia said...

Great summary of survival readiness, Damian. I'd expect nothing less from you.
It's a bit like the SDTS really - better to have it (prepared before you need it!), ready to go at any time.
I'm safely on the other side of the world. Hope everyone weathers the storm without loss of property or loved ones.

Menab said...

Would you happen to have a supply of these boxed up and ready for sale? I did a quick search and found these:

* http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/product.do?part=65595&engine=adwords!6456&keyword=product_ad_14572&type=pla

* http://www.quakekare.com/emergency-survival-kits-c-1.html?gclid=COqV18TE7qoCFQaA5QodkQvtPg

* http://survivalcache.com/

* http://survivalcache.com/bug-out-bag/

* http://www.survival-gear.com/

Gordon F. Kitchens said...

Being raised on the Texas Gulf coast, I can only add one thought--leave early. The hotels will fill up quickly. Traffic will be horrible. You can literally travel 20 miles in 8 hours. You don't want to ride out the storm in your car on the freeway. The 4-wheel drive will help out there, if you own one.

Unknown said...

Thank you for posting that the things that you included in your 1 person survival kit. I've been wanting to build one of these myself, but I honestly had no idea where to start. This is great! I'll be sure to print this out when I go shopping for my survival kit!