Monday, August 22, 2011

Humbled and Honored


In a word the 2011 summit was amazing. The most incredible part, the aspect I remember most wasn’t the training or even the evening events, it was the people. I never thought I would miss the 15 hour days, but as I sit here and reflect on this past week, I find myself missing the people who attended.
Those four days allowed me to reconnect with some old friends and make some new ones. We trained hard during the day and laughed the entire time doing it. At night we got out of our defensive tactics mindset and let our hair down…well some of us. We crammed into Go Karts, shot each other with lasers, shot little clay pigeons and climbed the walls. It was a blast and I was fortunate to spend time with some fantastic people and I am honored they took the time out of their busy lives to spend time with me and The Self Defense Company.
Needless to say we learned a lot about each other during those intense 60 hours. Some of those little gems of wisdom are listed below.

The 21 things we learned at the 2011 Self Defense Company Training Summit:
1. If your eye is still connected when it pops out, you will immediately
throw up due to the change in perspective
2. When mugging, chose a revolver
3. When being mugged hope for a semi-auto
4. Ex-wives are expensive
5. The desert sucks
6. It’s better to fold than to scrunch
7. Smell your fingers before you lick them
8. Stay at the resort
9. Never write a list of 70 questions at 3:30am
10. All it takes is a little tequila to transition from paleontologist to chef
11. Best advice I ever gave myself : “Never sacrifice integrity”
12. Favorite sound: Silence
13. A belly flop off a 15 foot high dive will give you a welt and bragging rights for life
14. How not to pay taxes…ever
15. Have your papers in Panama
16. A pickup truck is not a car
17. There is a shortage of stop signs in the greater Kitchner, Ontario area
18. Being mauled by a bear is far better than being attacked by bees
19. There’s nothing like Wallmart after 2:00am
20. You don’t need a license to rent a shot gun in New Jersey…but you do need it to drive a Go Kart
21. Sylvester Stallone is a thespian genius
One group, united
Everybody trained together. I mean this literally. I only had to instruct the group to change partners once during the entire four days. After that, everyone just worked with everyone else. I’ve never seen anything like it. Usually you get a few groups working together and they stay with each other from beginning to end. Not this group. Every time I turned I saw new people wanting to work together. It got to the point that people were seeking people they haven’t worked with before. It was truly incredible. This spirit elevated the attitude in the room and sent the energy level through the roof. It was like when you walked in, you just got in a better mood, even though the subject matter was brutal.

It’s just that simple!

Even though the group came from every walk of life from IT professionals, retired Navy Seals to Oil Rig Workers, they all had one thing in common…they understand the concept behind the SDTS (Self Defense Training System). They see the beauty in its simplicity, they understand the tactics of this principle driven system. Every time we went to a new technique I could just hear Dennis “It’s just that simple!” They all GOT it and it that alone made it all worthwhile to me. I don’t ever want someone indebted to me or any other SDC Instructor. I want them empowered. I want them to be able to perform better than me in a shorter amount of time.

I see the future and it looks fantastic

I can’t wait to see what’s going to happen six months, a year, five years from now. The next generation of SDC Experts is driven, skilled and intelligent. They will bring the SDC to new heights and I can’t wait. A legacy is being created and it’s exceeding my expectations.

Angela- Thank you for putting all of the events, transportation, meals, photo and video together, you are the reason I am able to function in the world. We have been through so much and the years of sacrifice are beginning to show returns. Great things come to those who deserve it (and do something about it).
Michael- Thank you my friend, it’s been 5 years already and we are now seeing the fruits of our labor. You are indispensible; you pick up where I leave off. Your ability to organize and articulate continues to amaze me.
Darren- Thank you for choosing to stick your flag in the SDC, your wisdom guidance and vision are truly an asset. More great things to come.
Joe- You’re like the younger brother I never had. It’s been seven years since we first met. Your drive, dedication and skill continue to amaze me. I’ve watch you start as a reserved quiet person and grow into a reserved, quite person who know what they are talking about! Thank you for staying with me.
Reuben- I think of you and I smile. My heart fills with pride and joy when I’m in your presence. Your skill is only exceeded by your heart and compassion. I love what you do with the SDTS. In your hands it turns into a buzz saw. Yes, I am getting to your island this year.
Pete- What can I say, you were the one who sparked the start of this some thirteen years ago. Thank you for everything.
Lauren- Thank you for saying “WTF” and taking some much needed days off and spend time with us. I hope this is the first of many times training and hanging out together. The only thing that exceeds your whit and ego is your work ethic. I don’t recall you ever resting. Reminds me of someone else I know…
Scott- When you look up the term “Good Old Boy” there’s your picture. I know you are going to continue to grow in the coming months and I am excited to see what happens down in NOLA. Plus I’m coming to see you, just give me an excuse. Rocky, huh, whoda thunkit?
Dawn- Thanks for letting Scott come. 
Jenna- We’ll our girl is growing up! You went from newbie to ass kicker in 4 days! Enjoy the bruises; I hope to see more from training (hopefully more on Scott and less on you). I can’t tell you how critical it is that women receive this training. Next year bring more friends. “Man Camp” needs more women!
Charles- Thank you sir for sharing your time with us, you were insightful and a great pleasure to train with. When I see people like you coming to the SDC I know we’re doing something right.
Chris- Thanks for making the trip from the great white north. Keep practicing (on your skeet) for next year. Damn shame we stopped when we did, you were just hitting your stride.
Maanab- You arrived late but within a few hours you fit in with the group like you were there the whole time. I look forward to your further involvement with the SDC.
George- OK, your memory is a little scary. During certs you managed to repeat my phrasing word for word. Vertigo or phobia, I was damn impressed that you climbed that wall…twice.
Dwayne- I still can’t believe you were on the mail list since 2003! That’s incredible. Well, it’s a good thing since we finally had the chance to meet. Thanks for understanding and having the vision to see where martial arts and self defense CAN coexist.
Ken- Great to meet you. You were another person who trained with intensity and I don’t think you took a break…ever! I’m just glad you got your tire fixed. Who knows, I may be in Lincoln Park before you know it.
Dave- If we continue to attract people such as you with the experience, professionalism and expertise you possess, we are limitless. It was a pleasure to meet you and I look forward to spending more time together in the near future.
Dennis- what can I say, you’re a rock star and it is an honor and a privilege to have you on board.
Lawrence- Who knew that you wanted to meet Gandhi to ask him how on earth he could turn the other cheek? I didn’t hear much from you, but you sure made yourself known in training. Thank you for coming and I look forward to next year.
Larry- It was awesome to see you again. Sorry we had to cut it short. Next year we will have a rematch on the Go Karts. Thank you for making the long drive.
Emanuel- I know it’s tough to keep Darren in line, but I have faith in you. Thank you for taking time from your business and detective work to train with us. Given your work ethic and attitude I can’t wait to see what you’re like next year.
Jason- Anyone who takes the belly flop dare “just cause” has that certain something that we look for. I hope this is the beginning of a long relationship with the SDC. Thank you for taking vacation time to come train with us.
Kevin- Hey ZeroCool, you are the next gen of SDC Instructor. If we continue to attract people like you (which are clearly few and far between), then there is nothing we can do. After 5 minutes I realized you are an asset. Thank you for making the SDC a part of your life.

We are already crafting an even more amazing 2012 so stay tuned.

Thank you all for making my year.
Train Honestly,
Damian Ross, CEO The Self Defense Company


Damian Ross is CEO of the Self Defense Company and developer of The Self Defense Training System, the most lethal and effective self defense system in the world, The Guardian Defensive Tactics Police Combatives Program, 60 minute Self Defense and the Family Safe Program. Mr. Ross also founded the Self Defense Instructor Program that helps people develop their self defense careers from the ground up. Mr. Ross is originally from Ridgewood, NJ where he was a High School Hall of Fame Athlete in football and wrestling as well as a varsity wrestling coach. He then went on to Lehigh University where he was a varsity wrestler and football player. Mr. Ross has 3 black belts, 4th Degree in Tekkenryu Jujutsu, 2nd Degree in Judo, 2nd Degree in Tae Kwon Do. In addition to his martial arts experience, Mr; Ross spent 8 years in the professional security and personal protection business. He is internationally recognized as one of the foremost authorities in reality based self defense.

3 comments:

Don Black said...

Timeline: The next year another attack and martial law. The year after that all dissidents either jailed or executed. The year after that all undesireables executed. Five years from now all the Jews will be in control of the United States and Communism will rear it's ugly head and it's party over. Yes, for you guys too.

Anonymous said...

Were can ifind a closecombat instructor

Damian Ross said...

To find a close combat instructor visit http://www.teachselfdefense.com. Click on FIND AN INSTRUCTOR and find and instructor.